It is more and more common for children to be cared for by a non-parent – typically a grandparent, aunt, uncle or other relative but also non-relatives. If the care is not being provided through a foster care program or relative placement through juvenile court, it puts children in a precarious position. Unless legal or physical custody is granted to the non-parent caretaker through a court order, the biological parents may be able to remove the child at any time.